Frequently Asked Questions
So what is CAP?
Great question! CAP stands for Child Abuse Prevention and is the program by Family Service that heads the CAP Adult Prom every year.
Okay, but what does the CAP program do?
We're glad you asked! The Child Abuse Prevention Program strives to educate ALL residents about child abuse and neglect and to promote healthy alternatives and positive parenting practices. The program includes:
* Kids on the Block Program - helps to equip children with the skills to recognize, report and protect themselves in difficult situations. Stressing the importance of talking with children about physical and sexual abuse.
* PBIS Bully Prevention Program - teaches kids how to stand up for themselves in a non-violent manner as well as how to respect and accept themselves as well as how to respect and accept others.
* Training Hours for professionals, parents, foster parents, child care providers, youth and/or other targeted audiences.
* Community or classroom presentations for professionals, parents, foster parents, child care providers, youth and/or other targeted audiences.
* Healthy Families - a voluntary home visiting program. It is designed to promote healthy families and healthy children through a variety of services including: child development, access to health care, and parent education. Services begin with families who are expecting a baby or have a newborn 3 months or younger and continue through the baby’s first 3 years.
* Caring Parents - evidence based birthing center bedside education of Period of Purple Crying at CRH, Schneck & Major hospital to prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome/Abusive Head Trauma.
That all sounds great! What is Family Service overall though?
Family Service, Inc. is a non-profit agency that has been providing quality services since 1968 in Bartholomew and surrounding counties. Family Service Inc. focus areas are Clinical services and Early Childhood Services.
Cool! Oh, yeah, what's with the pinwheels?
We're so glad you've seen them around! The Pinwheel is a symbol of a happy and carefree childhood! “They’re not just pinwheels. They’re a promise.” We are working to make Bartholomew County a place where all families can flourish.
That's neat! So where does my money go EXACTLY?
A very important question indeed! The funds that are collected from this event goes towards increasing our awareness efforts within our community and provides scholarships to families in need of parenting classes and ultimately fund the services that we provide to families.
I love everything I've heard! Which makes me think - what can I do in addition to giving money?
Oh man; so much!! You can volunteer, host a third party fund raiser, sew tummy time quilts or knit/crochet purple hats for Caring Parents and the babies born at CRH. Filing, stuffing envelops and folders, and cleaning are other skills volunteers can share with Family Service. We'd love to talk to you further about any of these!